Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Is it T-ball or Tee ball?

I can't figure out why there it two ways to spell it but only one way to say it. At first I thought the "tee" part was due to them being little but then realized that it would be called Wee ball if that were the case. Then I thought the T had to do with the tee, which is not at all shaped like a but more like a lowercase l. Anyhow, we will go with T-ball. Nathan is in T-ball this year and it is going well. He has had 3 games so far. After his first game he said to me "I actually liked that more than I thought I would" which is always a good sign. So after the first game Nathan says to me "mom, I didn't catch the score...what was it?" And then I had to explain that they didn't keep score in T-ball. He didn't understand that and wondered why they wouldn't keep store. I explained that it would probably hurt some kids feelings to be out and they want to give them a chance to keep playing. He didn't seem to get that. I find the whole thing amusing. They want the kids to rush and get kids out, and they all clap and cheer when they do get someone out, but then nothing happens. The kids stays there and keeps running the bases. I find it quite confusing myself. I understand that kids have fragile egos, and that some parents would probably get upset too. But I can only imagine in a couple years when they play little league and are out for real, the kids are not going to understand at all. I can just see the kids now saying "yeah I know I am out" and staying on the base like they did in T-ball. At some point you are going to have to explain to kids that they are out, I think you may as well do it early on. But what do I know? I am the one that is not even sure if it is T-ball or Tee Ball.


Here is Nathan's first game. They had only had 2 practices so the kids were a little confused about the whole thing, but they did quite well. I didn't get the shots of him being confused and taking his helmet off before he was running and then having to go get it and put it on and then run to first : )


Nathan's first hit...look at the look on the coaches face in the background. I am not sure if that is the look of shock or what but it cracks me up either way.


Nathan's first run. I am not sure what the whole blue team is looking at or doing, but apparently something else was going on.


Running to first in his second game. He does quite well running the bases.

So after the game they give the kids tokens that they can use for money at the concession stands and buy food. So we went over to the concession stands and Nathan had a gigantic freeze pop and for some odd reason I ordered one too..thinking that it would be good. But it was awful. Maddie loved it however, as evidenced by the following picture.


I looked over and saw her disrobing. Apparently she didn't like the feeling of blue goo all over her and didn't want to keep her shirt on.

After the second game Nathan asked me how I thought he did on a scale of 1-10. He told me that 10 would equal the best T-ball player ever and 1 would equal the worst. I said he was probably a 5 because he was new to it, but was doing pretty good. He contemplated it and said "okay, that's not bad." The next day after his game, he asked again what he would be rated, but asked Jared this time. Jared said a 6 or a 7. Nathan said "oh so a 7." And Jared says "well probably closer to a 6" to which Nathan says "okay, a 6...so I am getting better." It cracks me up (but doesn't surprise me) that he is asking us to rate his performance. It is nice for him to have fun, and to want to work at getting better. And I have to say that I think it is good for him when he is a 5 at some things. Everybody has their strengths and it is one of our goals and challenges to teach him that no one is better than anyone else and that God has given everyone different gifts and strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment