Sunday, April 11, 2010

Boston Trip: Children's Museum

We just had an exciting trip to Boston with the family. Lots of fun jampacked into those 3 days. It was a beautiful day for a road trip. The trip there was pretty good and our kids are great on road trips, although Maddie made sure to comment several times "Boston is SOOOOO far away." We got into Boston around noon and went straight to eat at the Au Bon Pain there (which Jared decided to call "enchante" instead as he had apparently never heard of Au Bon Pain). Then we went out to look at the water and take in the view on the way into the Children's museum


Nathan and Maddie looking at the water. Madeline keeping a close eye on the water as she was afraid if she turned her back she would fall in. Of course she also thinks she can fall through the tiny holes and cracks in decks sometimes.


Nathan trying to force Madeline to face the camera as she refused to have her back to the water....so we instead got a nice view of the special Boston garbage cans. They don't make 'em that nice in NY.

So off the the museum where we spent the next 5 hours of fun. It is amazing how kids can have boundless energy as the parents start to drag more on more. And what is so sad is that they don't even allow parents to have coffee or anything in there. That is plain torture. So here are some pictures of our "fun".


This is a giant 3 story climbing structure for kids that looks like magic carpets. It's really cool. Nathan made it to the top several times and Maddie made it to the top once. They had lots of fun up there...except for when Maddie got to the top and it was nap time and she was 3 stories up crying because she was tired of climbing. That part wasn't so fun. Thankfully there is an "emergency exit" at the top and they let her out. Thank goodness screaming crying children are considered an "emergency".


Nathan climbing the big magic carpet thing. I am pretty sure this was his favorite part...he is the one far away in green.


Where's waldo?


This thing was cool. It was a dance floor that would light up and had all different games like dodgeball, etc. Lots of fun. Mostly Madeline and a lot of the kids just loved to dance around on it since they played cool music.


Nathan building some ball maze thing. There was a whole room of contraptions and things that kept us busy for quite a while.


Madeline driving in the construction center. This was unfortunately after she had taken off her hard hat and all her gear. Very unsafe.


Nathan and his tessellation project


The power launcher was cool. Kids would pull with all there might and launch this ball up high into the sky. Nathan tried various positions of using his muscles and got quite good at it.


Maddie loves curious george. And there was a whole curious george exhibit and center. She was in there for quite a while.


Maddie loved going into this rocket and sticking her face out the side. There was a slide on the other side and I told her to go down the slide and she said "I can't mom, it's a rocket going to the moon....it doesn't have a slide."


Nathan and Maddie worked really hard at this station. At one point I think Nathan seemed to feel that was his real job, to pull a lever. He was there forever and felt as if he was unable to move because he had to keep the machine working.


Madeline got tired of standing and gathering the blocks and decided to sit at the end and let them fall on her. Thank goodness they are foam.

So we had lots of fun at the Museum and then went to an Indian Restaurant for dessert. Jared and I were excited about going because we haven't had Indian food in forever...but the kids weren't quite as excited. When we came in I saw they had candles on the table (foreshadowing to a future event) and glasses on the table and I was a little unsure of our decision. I got looks from the staff that told me they were unsure of our decision as well. The kids were tired and hungry and I knew they wouldn't really like the food and hoped it wasn't too spicy. Of course before our food even came Maddie had unwrapped a few of the napkins causing the silverware to crash to the floor and she was playing with her princess while I attempted to look at the menu and I heard Nathan yell "oh no, she put it in there" which I completely ignored thinking he was overreacting...until I looked up upon a strange smell only to see that she had put her plastic princess directly on top of the candle flame and put out the candle. Thankfully there was no fire, and when they asked if we wanted a candle when the meal was delivered I quickly said no. Otherwise the meal went pretty smoothly. The kids liked some of the food and some they thought was too spicy but they had enough to eat and we were happy, so that equals success. Then we went off to my friend Allison's house. Allison is a good friend from high school who graciously allowed us to stay with her and her family for the night. She just so happens to have a son named Nathan James as well, so that was fun. Every time I reprimanded or praised a Nathan they both responded. And it actually was not very confusing, but rather more convenient and efficient. In fact if I have another boy I may just name him Nathan as well. The kids all played together and we got them in bed and slept for a little bit before Nathan awoke at 6:30am. Ah vacation, how wonderful and relaxing you are. Day 2 (including our aquarium trip, hotel stay and mall trip) to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment